Staging Show Technicians / Event + Show Services
Westbury National is always on the lookout for talented individuals who are available and interested in working on a freelance basis as staging technicians on our event jobsites.
Staging Show Technicians are responsible for the installation, operation and tear down of staging systems and scenic elements of all sizes, in various venues and environments for live events. This role will also assist other departmental crews as required, so a general technical knowledge base is encouraged. Key responsibilities will include:
- Working as part of the technical team; following instructions from Crew Leads and Technical Directors to perform required tasks efficiently and mindfully.
- Participating in safely loading and unloading of trucks carrying production equipment
- Demonstrating a familiarity with industry standard staging practices including draperies, traveler tracks, riser systems, flats and jacks, kabuki systems, marley dance flooring, etc.
- Reading and interpreting staging/scenic documentation for use in execution on site, including production drawings, construction diagrams and other associated paperwork.
- Methodically troubleshooting technical challenges and demonstrating creative problem-solving skills
- Maintaining a safe working environment while working within the requirements of the company’s Health & Safety program and operational procedures
- Working at heights, either in lifts or on ladders
Qualifications and required skill sets include:
- Completion of industry-related post-secondary education program or equivalent industry experience
- Knowledge of common practices used in live events and theatre
- Experience with basic handheld power tools and scenic construction techniques
- Experience with stage coverings – vinyl, carpet, skirting techniques is an asset
- Knowledge of lift machinery and equipment, such as scissor and boom lifts, and the safe working procedures involved.
- Knowledge of conventional methods of building truss structures and mounting and rigging staging/scenic equipment.