Assistant Transport Manager
Working in the Transport Department, the Assistant Transport Manager reports directly to the Transport Manager, while responding directly to the transport needs and requests of the other departments. This may result in the Assistant Transport Manager at times working and making decisions independently from the Transport Manager.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Unlock & lock compound, shipping door, rental office, dock doors, incoming equipment cage; check all truck doors, windows, and locks.
- Perform a check of the truck compound every morning to ensure that vehicles do not contain any new damage; record and investigate any damages and take action to repair damages.
- Co-ordinate shop drivers.
- Assist drivers on the road with schedules and priorities.
- Create truck plots.
- Co-ordinate and assist in the timely loading and offloading of show trucks.
- Check loads for sensibility, security, and weight limitations.
- Book appropriate vehicles from suppliers, and maintain paperwork / rental sheets.
- Co-ordinate the pick-up and return of rental trucks.
- Ensure all trucks are in proper running condition and schedule servicing when required.
- Make occasional emergency shop driver runs.
- Move trucks within compound.
- Answer after-hours calls regarding gate keys, truck keys, & add-ons.
- Open gates and shop on weekend, and close up if last person out.
- Take new shop and show drivers on road tests, and instruct them on correctly completing a circle check.
- Ensure that drivers are using MTO Circle Check Forms or Driver Log Books at all times.
- Review Circle check forms from drivers to see if any vehicles require repair or service.
- Maintain Circle Check forms and Driver Log Book forms on file for 6 months.
- Assume the responsibilities of the Transport Manager in his absence.
- 3-5 years experience in similar role
- Solid understanding of transportation and logistics
- Strong computer skills, including knowledge of Microsoft Office, Filemaker, & Outlook
- Excellent organization and time management skills; prioritizing and meeting timelines in imperative to the success of this role
- Strong attention to detail and financial responsibility
- Ability to anticipate situations and problem-solve independently
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Physically capable of lifting at least 50lbs and handling heavy equipment
- In possession of a valid G-class or preferably a DZ license
- Clear drivers abstract
- Familiarity with the GTA